Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters review

I've read several of the other Amelia Peabody, but not all of them, so I've decided to start from the beginning and read them all in order.  This was one of the ones I had missed along the line.

This is the third in the Amelia Peabody series of stories.  As is usual in these, Amelia Peabody Emerson and her husband, Radcliffe, are busy on an archeological dig in Egypt, this time accompanied by their precocious four year old, known as Ramses, and their servant, John, who is supposed to help keep an eye on Ramses and keep him out of trouble.  And also, as is usual, they become involved in solving a murder or two.

Amelia suspects that the illicit antiquities market is being supplied by a Master Criminal, who is the cause of the murders, while her husband feels that the deaths are caused by a falling out among thieves, which was a common occurrence.  They get involved in a small competition to see which of them can solve the mystery.

I really like this series of mysteries.  I did get a little annoyed with Ramses in this one, especially when his affected speech is rendered by the author, but it is a small part of the overall story, and based on some of the other stories I've read, he does outgrow it, thank heavens!

Finished January 8, 2014.


This is part of  The 2014 Mt. TBR Reading Challenge (6 out of 24)
The 2014 Around the World Reading Challenge--Egypt (Africa) for the Casual Tourist Level 3 (3 out of 6).  The 2014 Cruisin' Thru the Cozies This is number 2.
The 2014 Vintage Mystery Bingo--Silver Challenge--Under S--Read One Book Set Any Where Except the US or England.





2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth Peters is an author that I've read sporadically. She's good when I read her--but for whatever reason I never just "had" to read every single one of her books like I do some of the series I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I felt about the Amelia Peabody series, but I think it had to do with me reading the ones I found out of order. That's one of the reasons I thought I'd try to read the series in order.

    Especially since I've read a couple of her other series and really enjoyed them. One featured Vicky Bliss, an art historian. It's a fun and easy read, very humorous, as is her Jacqueline Kirby series--Jacqueline is a librarian turned Romance Writer.

    ReplyDelete